For the next six months, I will make two different blocks for two different recipients. We started about a week ago and I got right down to business.
The first block requested is Wonky Squares-In-Squares. Wonky is right! From the requested color scheme to the type of block, I cringed when I saw the request. Having completed the block, though, I can admit that I'm rather proud of the finished item and happy I tried the block. I doubt I'll do it again, but I did learn several things along the way.
I didn't anticipate making so many blocks. I started each with 1.25" strips. Though I really like the effect, I think I'll make the project a little easier on myself and start with 3" strips. Perhaps I'll be more inclined to make a larger project like this if each block doesn't take quite as much time or use as much fabric.
Thinking I was moving on to something a little less complicated, I started the second block for May, the Eight Pointed Star Block. This block is new to me, too. I followed the directions as posted on the website and got through the block fairly quickly.
Much to my frustration, though, I had the darnedest time trying to get this completed as a 12.5" square block. My sewing is straight and by stitched lines measures 1/4" when I lay the ruler on the fabric. Once I press it, presto-chango, I loose about 1/8". Seriously? How is it that I can't press a seam right? What I didn't realize is that thread can play a roll in this problem. Who would have thought the thread size could make such a significant impact on the finished product? Now I get play with threads to see if I can find one that doesn't mess with my seam allowance when I'm piecing!
The good news is that I did finish the block to specifications and it's ready to head out the door to it's Canadian recipient. As for me, I'm all set to get going on the June blocks. Not bad. It's the first month and I'm right on track. I wish I could say the same for the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler Quilt I started. It's another monthly piecing project of which I am over a year behind. Oops!


Your blocks look awesome and I'm sure the recipients will love them!
ReplyDeleteHere's the blog post we were talking about:
ReplyDeletehttp://quiltcetera.wordpress.com/2010/03/16/tutorial-tuesday-what-is-your-thread-weight/
She tested threads of different weights that were all the same brand. If you cross brands; two 50 weight spools are not equal. If you put a 50 weight Aurifil next to a 50 weight Mettler you'll notice the Aurifil is thinner. That in mind for Mettler; the ones with purple writing are 50 weight, the green writing are 60 weight and the gold writing I believe are 40 weight. (Actually, this is a test I've always wanted to do for the shop; just never taken the time).
I *think* a 60 weight Mettler (219 yards @ $3.69) and a 50 weight Aurifil (1422 yards @11.00) are about the same size BUT you really wouldn't want to piece with that 60 weight Mettler because it's so much more expensive than the Aurifil. If you look at yardage I think you'd need 6-1/2 spools of Mettler to get to the same yardage as Aurifil - $24 for the same amount of Mettler versus $11 for the Aurifil. Now most people think a 50 weight is a 50 weight so instead of buying the Aurifil thinking it's expensive they default to the 50 weight Mettler (164 yards for $3.25) so you'd need 8-2/3 spools to equal an Aurifil or $28 instead of $11.
Even with this though, you still have where your needle actually falls and where you line your fabric up when you sew. Some people have a piece of tape down the bed of their machine. Or then how you press. You'll get different measurements if you iron open versus to one side. The more seams a block has, the more chances it has to not come out the right size.
At the end of the day; the only time I really freak out about this is when I do swaps or I work on a project that multiple people will be working on.
Giggle, what time zone do you have your blog set up to? I typed at 9:08am central time!
ReplyDelete